Continuing our series highlighting the best of 2012, we wanted to bring you the most popular Morning Bells of the past year. The Morning Bell started five years ago and has grown to be Heritage’s signature e-newsletter. If you have not subscribed to it, you can do that today.
1. Obama Edits Official State Department Documents to Tout Himself By Amy Payne August 17, 2012 Obama’s State Department is now editing its descriptions of foreign countries into yet another taxpayer-subsidized campaign commercial for the Obama Administration.
2. Heritage Experts React to First Presidential DebateBy Amy Payne October 4, 2012 During last night’s debate between President Obama and former Governor Mitt Romney, Heritage’s domestic policy experts were live-blogging their analysis of the ideas discussed.
3. White House Spin Machine Hits Brick Wall By Mike Brownfield February 13, 2012 Yesterday, the newest White House chief of staff, Jack Lew, took to the Sunday talk shows to get a head start on promoting President Barack Obama’s FY2013 budget, which is set to be released today.
4. This Threat Seems Fictional, but It’s a Real Danger By Amy Payne What happens to our society if we lose all electricity? A new TV show premiering next month, Revolution, will explore that question.
5. Obama’s State of Omission By Mike Brownfield January 25, 2012 Speaking last night from the U.S. Capitol, President Barack Obama described the state of the Union as he sees it — strong and getting stronger, with future growth fueled by his pursuit of progressive policies and an expansion of government.
6. Obamacare Awakens a Sleeping Giant By Mike Brownfield February 7, 2012 It is a rare moment indeed when faith denominations of all stripes unite together in common cause, and it is rarer still when that cause is a political one, with a sole piece of legislation as its principal target.
7. President Me By Rory Cooper May 16, 2012 Reflecting on his two terms in office, President George W. Bush said in 2010, “You realize you’re not it. You’re a part of something bigger than yourself.” This is a sentiment President Barack Obama did not inherit from his predecessor.
8. Clinton Is Wrong on Welfare Reform By Amy Payne September 6, 2012 Last night, in his nationally televised speech, former President Bill Clinton said the charge that President Obama has gutted welfare reform was “a real doozy.”
9. Obama’s Tyrannical Abuse of Power By Mike Brownfield January 5, 2012 Standing behind a podium on a stage just outside Cleveland, President Barack Obama delivered a speech yesterday that will reverberate throughout history.
10. What Does the Election Mean for Obamacare? By Nina Owcharenko November 9, 2012 The bad news is that many of the health care law’s serious effects were delayed until after the election. Ten of its 18 new tax hikes have yet to kick in. And there is still so much about the law that we don’t even know.